Thursday, September 4, 2008

Converting blood glucose measurements US > CA: case

Scenario

A young man tells me he would like to be able to convert US blood glucose levels (milligrams per deciliter: mg/DL) to Canadian (millimoles per liter: mmol/L).

Resolution

After much searching in various resources, and finally Google, I am able to find an online converter from Lifescan Inc., the people who make the OneTouch® System for monitoring blood glucose levels.

I would like to make it clear that I am in no way endorsing their products (I am not qualified to make any judgement about them), and usually I prefer to avoid information offered by such companies as it is likely biased, but in this case I decide to make an exception. The tool they provide is freely accessible and actually quite handy.

I would suggest that if you are looking for reliable information about diabetes there are other better resources. To list just a few:

Canadian Diabetes Association
recipes
Diabetes Quebec
Public Health Agency of Canada
Neuro-Patient Resource Centre
MedlinePlus - diabetes
UpToDate - diabetes

And now, without further ado, here is the link to the converter:

Blood glucose monitoring: converting measurements

Like other online converters, you can plug in the number you have and you will be given the number you want.

You can also use it to convert plasma results to whole blood results.

No comments: