Thursday, September 25, 2008

Omega 3 and ADHD: case

Scenario

About 15 minutes before I leave for the day, a woman calls me and would like to know whether there is any evidence that Omega 3 is a good treatment for ADHD.


Resolution

Since I don't have much time I decide to use David Rothman's Consumer Health and Patient Information Search Engine. Here's what David says about his search engine:
This (recently re-created) Custom Search Engine searches authoritative and trusted consumer health information and patient education resources recommended by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and/or by CAPHIS (the Consumer and Patient Health Information Section of the Medical Library Association).

This is a great way to do a quick search of lots of trustworthy resources at once, and there is no need to weed through crappy results the way you would using Google. Thanks David!

I run a search for Omega 3 ADHD, and sure enough every single hit on the first page is relevant, authoritative and no one is selling anything (the same search in Google retrieves a first page listing a bunch of questionable blogs and websites selling alternative therapies).

I email the following links to my patron and still have time to shut down my computer and tidy my desk:

WebMD: ADHD Medications and treatments

WebMD: ADHD diets

WebMD: How effective is Omega 3 in treating ADHD?

Medscape: Fatty acid supplementation for ADHD

Mayo Clinic: Flaxseed and flaxseed oil


3 comments:

David said...

I can't tell you how much it tickles me that the CSE (which didn't take at all long to make) was useful to you. :)

Best,

-David

FF said...

Hi David,

Surely you're not surprised! :-)

FF said...

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for reading my blog:-) I see you've got yourself some free advertizing! I'm sure you understand however that I must stress that I do not in any way endorse or recommend your site or your products. From now on I will be monitoring comments before they get posted.

Cheers